emPerform has been a proud supporter of the HRSouthwest Conference for many years and each year we get more excited to attend. And why wouldn’t we? This knowledge-packed event is the premier regional human resources conference in the United States; attended by over 1,400 professionals and boasting world-class keynotes, information sessions and networking opportunities.
We always look forward to being in the Expo hall ready to meet with our amazing customers & valuable partners and to chat with attendees about their performance management challenges. But we have to admit that we have it easy compared to attendees. After all, while we are nestled in our comfy booth (this year we will be in Booth #906), attendees have to make it into downtown Fort Worth and run from session to session – all while staying on top of the happenings at the office. The overall experience makes it more than worth it but we want to help ensure that all attendees not only enjoy their time at the event but that everyone also leaves with valuable take-aways and action items from the sessions as well as the abundance of information available in the Expo Hall.
Here are some great conference & expo tips we can offer to help attendees get the most from their time at HRSouthwest:
- Comfy shoes – seems like a no-brainer but you would be surprised how big the Fort Worth Convention Center can get and how much walking is done in the Expo hall and to and from sessions (one of these years I am going to wear a pedometer and keep track just for fun).
- Get your game-card on – a fun activity offered in the Expo hall is the chance to win some great prizes by having your game-card stamped by as many participating vendors as possible. Collect a full card and win. Be sure to stop by Booth #906 for a stamp from emPerform.
- Pack lightly – you need to save room for all of the conference material, chachkies, and emPerform swag you plan to take home.
- Network, network, network – don’t be afraid to share your business card. The HRSouthwest Conference offers the best HR networking opportunities available to Texas and Texas-adjacent SHRM members so don’t miss your chance to form some meaningful business connections with speakers, fellow delegates, and vendors. Also, be sure to download the Conference App which will be available any day now on the conference website, follow #HRSWC conversations on twitter and of course, plan to take part in some great Networking activities like the “Meet & Eat” where the welcome center will match you with other attendees for dinner.
- Make an Expo plan – never enter the Expo hall without a plan of which vendors you would like to see, why, and what you plan to take away from each meeting. Without planning, you might get distracted by all of the lights and gifts and miss the opportunity to get one-on-one interactions with potential vendors. If possible, book meeting times with key vendors in advance so they are expecting you and can set aside some dedicated time.
- Ask questions – vendors are in their booths ready to show you the latest technology and services to help make your life easier – but unless you ask all of the questions that relate to your unique requirements, you won’t know if they are truly a fit. Don’t be scared to ask any and all questions you have. That’s what vendors are there for!
- Get in on the NEW practitioner exchange – Something new this year is the HR Practitioner Exchange. emPerform is proud to sponsor this informative activity and hope you can join. This hands-on workshop will lead participants through case studies of real-world HR scenarios and challenge them to develop their own solutions to the issues presented.
- Remember that life exists after the conference – we see it year after year. People attend sessions and sample new technology, get really jazzed about ideas and then plans never come to fruition afterwards. We recommend never leaving a session, booth, or meeting without jotting down some clear follow up activities to execute after the event is over. This will help ensure all of the inspiration doesn’t dissipate on the way home and will remind you what follow up activities you have committed to and ultimately, how you plan to benefit from the knowledge and resources you have obtained.
- Have fun! Keep your HRSouthwest objectives close but don’t let them stop you from enjoying the Conference and downtown Fort Worth – especially if you aren’t from the area. Grab some fellow-attendees for dinner at a great steakhouse, take a few hours to take in some local tourist attractions like the 6th Floor Museum or the Forth Worth Stockyards and of course, try to carve out some shopping time at one of Dallas’ amazing shopping centers like the Dallas Galleria or Northpark Center.
We hope to see you at the Conference Oct 26-28!The emPerform team will be in Booth #906 giving away some great prizes like a Samsung Galaxy Tab®.
Not Registered? Visit the conference site for more information.
Registered? Book your live demo of emPerform’s award-winning online employee appraisal and talent management software. First 20 to book in advance will receive a Starbucks Gift Card. Click here to book your demo.
Not Attending? No problem. You can contact us and one of our emPerform experts would be happy to book a demo of emPerform at your convenience.
See you in Fort Worth!