Just because it’s summer, doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t all be planning for the hustle and bustle of fall and that includes preparing for some key upcoming HR events. Conferences are still the main platform for HR to network with other professionals and key leaders in the space, learn about the latest trends in HR and HR technology, score big points towards Recertification and/or Education Programs, and collect nifty swag for your desk.
People don’t get approval for shows because of the tasty boxed lunches or the after-hours events – companies keep sending their HR teams to these shows because the practical knowledge obtained translates to business results and the timeliness and relevance of information presented is unmatched.
So, what Fall 2013 events should be on HR’s Radar?
1. Annual ASHHRA Conference & Expo. September 28-October 1 – Washington, DC. In its 49th year, the ASHHRA Conference is the most beneficial gathering of HR professionals operating in the Healthcare space. This event welcomes roughly 1000 attendees and 150 exhibitors. Byron Pitts, ABC News Chief National Correspondent and Richard J. Umbdenstock, President and CEO of The American Hospital Association (AHA) are some of the speakers lined up to present at this year’s conference.
What does this show offer? A variety of take-away tools, best practices and policies, networking opportunities with other HR practitioners, exposure to more than 150 suppliers helping to advance health care HR products and services, focused learning on leadership and strategic business knowledge, and sessions designed around five leadership competencies. Not to mention recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification programs and the opportunity to meet the emPerform team in the Expo Hall. 😉
Look for us in Booth #521 – Stop by to meet the emPerform team and to snag some great giveaways and a glimpse at how emPerform’s online employee performance management software suite is helping the Healthcare industry greatly improve how they evaluate employees and meet accreditation body standards.
2. 16th Annual HR Technology Conference & Expo. October 7-9 Las Vegas, NV. There is no question that HR software and technology is transforming HR’s role and producing big business results and there is nowhere better to live and breathe this reality than the HR Technology Conference – the largest yearly international gathering of everyone who already cares or needs to know more about HR technology. HR Tech attracts a community of 6,000 people from 28 countries and over 250 suppliers of the latest and greatest HR tools and technology.
What does this show offer? This year’s conference is being held in the never-boring Las Vegas, giving HR Pro’s a great opportunity to have some fun. Besides the location, the show name speaks for itself. HR Tech offers practical HR solutions; however, ultimately guides HR on how to get business results from technology. The Expo hall is a smorgasbord of the best technology available and offers face to face time with potential vendors so bring your questions with you.
All of the details surrounding HR Tech can be found here: https://www.hrtechnologyconference.com/
Look for us in Booth #450. We’ll be giving away a 10” Samsung® Galaxy Tab and free Starbucks Gift cards for attendees who book demo time in advance. Contact us to learn more.
3. HRSouthwest Conference. October 20-23 – Fort Worth, TX. The HRSouthwest Conference (HRSWC) is the largest regional human resources Conference in the United States. In its 72nd year, this conference attracts over 1600 delegates, 200 leading vendors, and over 100 industry-leading speakers.
What does this show offer? The Conference offers world-renowned keynote speakers (like Barbara Corcoran, contributor for NBC’s TODAY Show and star of ABC’s Shark Tank), two and a half days of over 100 educational sessions, networking opportunities and exposure to the latest HR products, techniques and services.
Show details can be found here: https://www.hrsouthwest.com/
This will be our first time participating in this conference and we are very much looking forward to it. You can find us in Booth #806 – be sure to stop by for some great giveaways and get your free Starbucks gift card by booking your demo in advance.
New to Expos?
Here are some great expo tips we can offer as seasoned veterans:
- Comfy shoes seems like a no-brainer but you would be surprised how big the conference centers can actually be.
- Pack light – you need to save room for all of the conference material, chachkies, and emPerform swag you plan to take home.
- Network, network, network – don’t be afraid to share your business card with your fellow peers. These shows offer the best HR networking opportunities available so don’t miss your chance to form some meaningful business connections with speakers, fellow delegates, and vendors.
- Make an Expo plan – never enter the expo hall without a plan of which vendors you would like to see, why, and what you plan to take away from each meeting. Without planning, you might get distracted by all of the lights and gifts and miss the opportunity to get one-on-one interactions with potential vendors. If possible, book meeting time with key vendors in advance so they are expecting you and can set aside some dedicated time.
- Remember that life exists after the conference – we see it year after year. People attend sessions, get really jazzed about ideas and then plans never come to fruition afterwards. We recommend never leaving a session, booth, or meeting without jotting down some clear follow up activities to execute after the event is over. This will help ensure all of the inspiration doesn’t dissipate on the way home and will remind you what follow up activities you have committed to and ultimately, how you plan to benefit from the knowledge and resources you have obtained.
- Do your research – Conferences are a big investment. Set aside time way in advance of the show to research all sessions, plan your days and events, and skim any pre-show material.
If you have any questions about the fall events lists, or would like more information on joining us at these events, please contact [email protected]