The countdown is on – with HRPA less than a week away we can already see the lights and hear the sounds of the Tradeshow.
emPerform has been a proud supporter of the Annual HRPA Conference for many years and each year we get more and more excited to attend. And why wouldn’t we? This knowledge-packed 3 day event is attended by over 4,500 professionals and boasts world-class keynotes, information sessions and networking opportunities.
We always look forward to being in the Expo hall ready to meet with our amazing customers & valuable partners (this year in particular we are looking forward to catching up with our partners Marnie Green and JUMPRewards) and to chat with attendees about their performance management challenges. But we have to admit that we have it easy compared to attendees. After all, while we are nestled in our comfy booth (this year we will be in Booth #519), attendees have to make it into downtown Toronto in the middle of January and run from session to session – all while staying on top of the happenings at the office. The overall experience makes it more than worth it but we want to help ensure that all attendees not only enjoy their time at the event but that everyone also leaves with valuable take-aways and action items from the sessions as well as the abundance of information available in the Expo Hall.
Here are some great Expo tips we can offer to help attendees get the most from their time at HRPA:
- Comfy shoes (and boots!) – seems like a no-brainer but you would be surprised how big the MTCC can actually be and how much walking is done in the Expo hall and to and from sessions (one of these years I am going to wear a pedometer and keep track just for fun).
- Pack lightly – you need to save room for all of the conference material, chachkies, and emPerform swag you plan to take home.
- Network, network, network – don’t be afraid to share your business card. HRPA offers the best HR networking opportunities available so don’t miss your chance to form some meaningful business connections with speakers, fellow delegates, and vendors. Also, be sure to download the Conference App, follow the #HRPA2015 conversations on twitter and of course, plan to take part in some great Networking activities like the Wednesday Chill Night.
- Make an Expo plan – never enter the HRPA Expo hall without a plan of which vendors you would like to see, why, and what you plan to take away from each meeting. Without planning, you might get distracted by all of the lights and gifts and miss the opportunity to get one-on-one interactions with potential vendors. If possible, book meeting times with key vendors in advance so they are expecting you and can set aside some dedicated time.
- Ask questions – vendors are in their booths ready to show you the latest technology and services to help make your life easier – but unless you ask all of the questions that relate to your unique requirements, you won’t know if they are truly a fit. Don’t be scared to ask any and all questions you have. That’s what vendors are there for!
- Remember that life exists after the conference – we see it year after year. People attend sessions and sample new technology, get really jazzed about ideas and then plans never come to fruition afterwards. We recommend never leaving a session, booth, or meeting without jotting down some clear follow up activities to execute after the event is over. This will help ensure all of the inspiration doesn’t dissipate on the way home and will remind you what follow up activities you have committed to and ultimately, how you plan to benefit from the knowledge and resources you have obtained.
- Have fun! Keep your HRPA objectives close but don’t let them stop you from enjoying the Conference and downtown Toronto – especially if you aren’t from the area. Grab some fellow-attendees for dinner at the adjacent 360 CN Tower Restaurant, offering unparalleled views of Toronto, take a few hours to visit the new Ripley’s Aquarium located steps from the MTCC and of course, try to carve out some shopping time at Toronto’s largest mall, the Eaton Center. It’s a cold but beautiful time to year to see the sights of Toronto!
We hope to see you at the Conference Jan 21-23! The emPerform team will be in Booth 519 giving away some great prizes like a Samsung Galaxy Tab®.
Not Registered? Visit the conference site for more information. You can even register for a free Expo pass.
Registered? Book your live demo of emPerform’s award-winning online employee appraisal and talent management software. First 20 to book in advance will receive a Starbucks Gift Card. Click here to book your demo.
See you in Toronto!